International Youth Day 2023: 7 Activities Set To Foster Engagement
Every year on August 12th, the world comes together to celebrate International Youth Day, shining a global spotlight on the myriad of challenges and opportunities that encompass the lives of young people.
The significance of this day stems from its adoption by the United Nations General Assembly in 1999, with the inaugural celebration taking place on August 12th, 2023.
The Vision of IYD 2023: Green Skills for Youth
This year’s International Youth Day celebration carries the theme “Green Skills for Youth: Towards a Sustainable World.”
The central objective of the event is to engage young individuals in activities that not only empower them but also contribute to the betterment of the environment.
By emphasizing eco-friendly skills, the celebration aims to promote sustainable practices that can safeguard the planet for future generations.
International Youth Day Celebrations in Kenya
In Kenya, the youth are preparing to commemorate the International Youth Day with fervor and enthusiasm.
Supported by the government’s State Department for Youth Affairs, Kenya’s annual International Youth Day celebration is slated for August 11th, 2023.
The festivities are scheduled to unfold at the Kenya Cultural Centre (KCC), conveniently located adjacent to the Kenya Broadcasting Corporation.
The event will kick off at 7:00 am and conclude at 12:00 noon, followed by further activities at the Youth Information Center (YIC) near Hilton Hotel and Archives, continuing from noon until 8:00 pm. The grand finale will culminate in a Presidential speech on August 12th at Kasarani Stadium.
Diverse Activities to Foster Engagement
The day is packed with a diverse array of activities, each tailored to engage and empower the youth:
1. Mega Nairobi Walk: Participants will take part in a spirited walk, fostering camaraderie and unity among the youth.
2. Youth Exhibition: This platform will provide young people with the opportunity to showcase their talents, connect with potential partners, and explore various prospects.
3. Hustlers Bazaar: An avenue for entrepreneurial minds to shine, the bazaar will facilitate the display and sale of innovative products and services crafted by young entrepreneurs.
4. Artistic Expressions: Artists and DJs will grace the occasion, infusing the event with their creative energies through captivating performances.
5. Color Fest: Adding a vibrant touch, the color fest promises to be a visual spectacle, enveloping the celebration in an aura of liveliness.
6. Film Screening: Thought-provoking films will be screened, inspiring reflection on pertinent youth-related issues.
7. Fireworks: The day will culminate in a dazzling fireworks display, symbolizing the effervescent spirit of the youth.
Empowering Youth Voices for Policy Influence
Aligned with the 1.8 Billion Campaign, which seeks to amplify the voices of young people, this celebration presents a unique opportunity for youth to actively engage in shaping policies that cater to their needs.
By participating in such activities, young individuals can influence decision-making processes that impact their lives, paving the way for more youth-friendly policies.
Invitation to All Kenyan Youth
Every young person in Kenya is warmly welcomed to attend this momentous celebration. The International Youth Day 2023 is not just a gathering; it’s a platform for unity, growth, and transformation.
By harnessing the energy and potential of the youth, Kenya is not only celebrating the present but also paving the way for a sustainable and vibrant future.
Written by Emmaculate Odhiambo